Step 5: Flee Temptation
The best way to avoid being tempted to lie on the couch and watch the world go by is to just do something. Take these active steps to be a more active person.
- Focus on your relationship with God.
Begin your new, more disciplined life by maintaining your spiritual disciplines with God. He has something for you to do; ask Him what it is.
- Latch on to God’s promises.
Find Bible verses that speak encouragement to you in your struggle against irresponsibility. Commit the verses to memory and use them when temptation arises. Here is one you may find valuable:
He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. (Isaiah 40:29)
- Establish safeguards.
What inspires you to be irresponsible? Do whatever it takes to block such influences from your life. These are examples of the kinds of things you can do:
• If you are lazy, make a “to do” list of the things you ought to accomplish.
• If you tend to procrastinate, create a calendar with all the deadlines for the things you are supposed to do.
• If you typically leave your bedroom a mess, set your alarm a few minutes earlier so you can straighten it up every morning.
• Ask a trusted Christian friend to hold you accountable in your commitment to not be irresponsible any longer.
- Expect victory.
The Holy Spirit will motivate you into action if you will yield your heart to Him. Trust Him to make you a diligent person. Look forward to the victory He will give.