Truth or Consequences
Deception violates a biblical standard. “Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who deal truthfully are His delight” (Prov. 12:22). “May the Lord cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaks proud things” (Ps. 12:3). “We are meant to hold firmly to the truth in love, and to grow up in every way into Christ, the head” (Eph. 4:15, PH).
If you form the habit of ignoring facts, brushing aside the truth, making things come out to suit yourself, you will react in just these ways when a serious crisis comes into your life. You cannot rationalize the small decisions and then expect to make the major decisions in good, unfettered judgment. By practice, you can become an expert at dodging issues or at facing them frankly and honestly.
The biblical standard of dealing only in truth is not designed to be a nuisance to the one who would abide by it. Rather it is the pathway to peace. Rationalization, on the other hand, will thwart your progress in life.
The key to inner peace is self-discovery. The method is to forsake the wrongs you discover. “He who covers his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy” (Prov. 28:13).
Questions for review:
- Spend some time looking up Bible verses on deception and lying. What is the overarching message of Scripture on this subject?
- Can you think of an example from your own life in which you rationalized behavior that fell short of God’s standards? What do you think was your motivation for doing so?
- If you become accustomed to rationalizing small things in your life, what do you think will happen when larger mistakes are made?
- Now it’s time to do some real heart searching. Can you identify any character weaknesses within yourself that you have rationalized or excused away?
- Are you willing to confess these weaknesses to God and to let Him change you? If so, spend some time in prayer with Him about this.
Has this lesson helped you? Contact us to share how, or to report any broken links.
Download PDF copy of